Monday, August 15, 2011

fishing for turtles

This weekend we went fishing.
Fishing has always been one of my favorite pastimes. That is if I am catching fish, if not then I’m hot and ready to go.
We went with our awesome neighbors and of course as soon as we got out there everyone kept catching fish. Everyone except me.
So I made my way around the tank thinking of course the fish were hiding in whatever spot I wasn’t in. I cast my reel and impatiently waited.
Then it happened.
I caught a turtle.
I’ve always wanted a turtle but I never thought this would be the way I’d get one! I saw “Fred” (I named him for our 10 minute relationship) in the water interested in my worm. I laughed thinking of course no turtle is dumb enough to take the bait. Apparently Fred is. He bit down, I felt the tug and didn’t know what to do. This isn’t a fish you can reel in because Fred wasn’t meant to be caught. So I slowly pulled him in, picked him up and waited for husband to come save the day.
Husband came with pliers to get the hook out of Fred’s mouth. Apparently he wasn’t thrilled because he started hissing and attempting to scratch me with his claws. This is what made me decide our relationship could not continue.
We got the hook out without hurting Fred and put him back.
I don't think I want a turtle anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment