Tuesday, August 2, 2011

can we get a handicap placard for the dog?

Do dogs gradually go blind? Or do they just wake up one day and they’re like “Shit I can’t see anything?”

I’m pretty sure either her eyes are starting to suck or she’s just becoming old, cantankerous and retreating back to childhood adolescence, all of which I’m not impressed with.

But my dog, Daze (like the flower, she came pre-named), my beloved “mutt” or chupacabra as my husband so “lovingly” refers to her, is 9. I think. She’ll be 9 this December or maybe 10, not that I think it matters since a dog’s age advances much more rapidly than ours. I’ll do better with remembering ages when I have actual human babies.

I inherited her when she was 6 months old either 9 or 10 years ago. Ugliest Most beautiful fur baby I’ve ever seen. She came free with bad hair, nastiest breath ever and an over-eagerness to bite everyone. Angel from heaven.

She’s been loyal, wonderful and consistent. I can count on her to bark for 3 hours when someone stops by. I can also count on her to poop in the same place (thanks for not changing it up). But now I think the vision is going. I’m not sure how she’ll know where the pooping spot is.

So usually, since I’m lazy, I stand at the back door and yell loud enough for her to hear me upstairs in her room (our bathroom). Really it’s a challenge to yell that loud because it’s far, especially if the dryer is going. Then here she comes, racing her sister Bella (the over grown Yorkie) down the stairs and out the door to potty while standing on only one leg. For real, how does a dog balance on one leg. Pretty sure she studies gymnastics in her free time.

Now it seems like I have to scream for 3 minutes, then sigh and walk over to the bottom of the stairs and scream some more because I’m certainly not wasting a trip up to get her.

Eventually, she comes. Slowly, as if she doesn’t care that I have things to do. She takes her time, enjoying each step on her way down the stairs, strolls across the living room through the kitchen then stops to investigate the opening that is the back door as if she’s never seen it before.

I try to encourage her by (gently) attempting to close the door (and push her out…I’m going to be a great parent) and she still stands there hanging onto the ledge. So then I feel bad and open the door and wait.

I’m getting the vibe she doesn’t have that zest to race her sister anymore. So I’ve concluded she might be losing her sight or they’ve come to a secret agreement about always letting Bella win.

I suggested to my husband we take her to the vet, after I probably made it worse when I shined a flashlight in her eyes thinking that I was a vet, and going to see something. He said we weren’t treating her if she is blind because it’s expensive (um what if it was our child?). Duh husband there isn’t a pill for this stuff. Is there? Because if so, scratch what I agreed too. She’s getting it.

I said “I know we’ll just help her and carry her up and down the stairs” and by we I meant him. “Dang I just got down here and forgot the blind dog, could you go get her?”

Can we get a Seeing Eye service dog for our dog?



No comments:

Post a Comment