Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tropical Storm Day (at the beach!!)

At the end of our visit with my step son we took him to the beach. All he had mentioned was going to the beach. So we loaded up and drove the three and a half hours there. Being the planners we are we checked the weather just outside of Houston (an hour before the beach) only to see that Tropical Storm Don was making it’s way right towards our destination. Great. Does this mean a spacious beach area to choose from?

We get to Galveston and spend 20 minutes trying to find the beach. How two adults can be on an island and not locate the beach is kind of impressive. We find the beach, pay (which why is a beach not free?) and realize that apparently lots of other people did not get the Hurricane memo because the pay-per-beach was crowded! So we walk 10 miles (a quarter of a mile) down from the car, find a spot, spread everything out, lather the kid with sunscreen (because its not at all sunny) and I send the boys into the potentially shark/jellyfish infested waters.

I lay back, enjoying the 40mph winds hitting me only to be interrupted moments later by the joyous sounds of the step son letting me know he had salt in his mouth. Um, duh, you’re at the beach. Instead being the excellent bonus mom I am I first took like 10 pictures of his meltdown (priorities) then proceeded to help him rinse his mouth. He then sat down letting me know he never wanted to get in the water at the beach again. Lucky for you kid a Hurricane is about to make that a reality.

So after only being there maybe an hour we loaded up and headed to the car. No sooner did the kid get in and toss sand everywhere in my car did the torrential down pour start. I then felt the need to point out how great it was that we drove three and a half hours for one hour at the beach.

We navigated our way (in the storm) to the ferry because we promised him we’d take him. Surprisingly there wasn’t a long “evacuate for the Hurricane” line, yet. Also unsurprisingly as soon as we got on the ferry he wanted to get out and walk around the boat. Super, I was actually hoping for the chance to get soaked.

Then the navigation system let us know that the quickest way back home was on the ferry. So we turned around and got back on. Which took no time at all because what other retarded people are trying to ride a ferry onto an island during a hurricane?

Overall I think it was a great trip. He hated the ocean, but the Hurricane took care of that. Sealed the deal that I will never have sand in the car again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment